Saturday, June 03, 2006

donations so far

I spent a few days about 2 weeks ago typing up and sending out about 150 letters soliciting financial donations as well as donations of auction and raffle items. Many of my amazingly creative friends are donating art, handmade clothing, wine, food, music, services (massage, haircuts, housecleaning) and TIME and I should have everything ready for the auction in the next week or two!

So far, I have received generous donations from these folks in the mail:

Hairspray Salon
Sonoma County Museum
East West Cafe
Evolution Yoga
Krishna Das
Shambhala Sun Magazine
Lagunitas Brewing Company
Orr Hot Springs
The Ram Das Tape Library
The Rialto Lakeside Cinemas
Roxy Cinemas Stadium
Free Mind Media
Occidental Art and Ecology Center (being sent)

I am also going to:
*apply for an "Adopt An Activist" grant
*do a "Dine and Donate" dinner
*possibly ask for corporate sponsorship (at least for accommodations or supplies or travelers immunization)
*ask airlines for discount vouchers
(advice?)

I am feeling a little anxious about the event. Planning something so huge, for my first time, by myself is very overwhelming. There is the music, the food, the auction items, the raffle, the wine, the kid-friendly activities, the publicity and the stress of trying to get the money raised in time to buy the tickets before they cost a million dollars. On top of this all, I am trying to focus on my last semester of graduate school, do thesis research, learn more about Kenya (including where to stay during the forum) pay the bills and do my best to be a decent mom.

I am trying to tell myself that all of my hard work and dedication to trying to "fix" the world is going to pay off instead of making me crazy and that we will make it to the forum...

1 comment:

Britt Bravo said...

Hi Dani,

I just wrote about your blog on Blogher, where I am a Nonprofit and NGO Contributing Editor: Dani Saves the World

Britt